Friday, June 27, 2008

The archaic entertainment

My mom, brother, and I are talking about going to a drive-in movie tomorrow night. I've never been to one-- there aren't really any drive-in theatres around; we're going up to Bremerton.

I'm not quite sure what to expect, what with my expectations coming from old movies in which the characters watched movies. There aren't any drive-in movie theatres nearby because they became as obsolete as the VCR (still working, but the new model is shinier), but I just read tonight (while finding a theatre) that they are coming back in vogue. It's weird how things come in and out of fashion, and how they can suddenly become cool, just because the right people (or enough people) like them.

I've always worn used clothes-- most of the clothes that I wear today are hand-me-downs from my mom that are slightly too big or else something that I bought at Goodwill. And then, suddenly... I wasn't wearing old clothes: I was being vintage. Value Village is cool. There are famous people now who don't want to wear new clothes that look retro; they want to wear clothes that look like new clothes that look retro, only they are actually old clothes that weren't too worn out to sell again.

People are awesome. Our species may be the only one to produce genocidal maniacs, but still...

Awesome.

No comments: